Children need attention, encouragement, discipline and support in order to grow into healthy adults with a positive lifestyle in Raleigh Durham. The need for attention is so powerful in the human mind that if a child or teenager is not given that attention, they will often desperately seek it in the following ways:
- Some children and teens attempt to earn attention and respect by performing exceptionally in school or sports. They are driven to make the best possible grades or to be the most recognized athlete in the school. While this may seem like a positive result in the short term, over time these young people run a high risk for burnout, substance abuse, depression and even suicide.
- Some teens look for attention from peers. Many young people become sexually active in order to feel connected, appreciated or noticed. This type of attention often leads to shame, depression, disease, pregnancy or again, substance abuse and addiction.
- Other teens subconsciously make the choice to settle for negative attention if it is the only kind that is available. They may act up in class or at home, get involved in criminal activity or gangs, or turn to drug and alcohol abuse at a young age.
- Every adult’s level of self-confidence, personal discipline and concern for others stems from the kind of attention they were given as a child. Neglecting a child can be every bit as psychologically destructive as physically abusing them.
How A Raleigh Durham Resident Can Overcome Negative Attention Seeking And Neglect
Lasting freedom from the effects of neglect and addiction require the careful treatment of the body and mind. Comprehensive rehabilitation is offered by several innovative new programs that specialize in treating young people with multiple emotional issues. After carefully diagnosing any and all co-occurring psychological issues, these treatment centers develop customized plans to help individuals learn healthy new ways to view themselves and their future in Raleigh Durham.
Some of the most effective therapeutic elements include the following:
- Specialized personal counseling
- Connection with fellow patients through relevant support group sessions
- Introducing healthy expression techniques that generate positive attention, such as creative arts therapy, equine therapy or opportunities to serve others
- 12-step programs that are specially adjusted for young people
- Spiritual and emotional support as appropriate
- Mentoring programs
- Healthy physical activities
- Nutritional support
- Education and skill development that builds knowledge, power and self-esteem
Recovering from the physical effects of addiction can be challenging, but often takes just a few days. Re-programming the addicted mind to function in healthy, productive and positive ways can take years to accomplish. A crucial first step is often simply convincing a neglected young person that they have intrinsic self-worth. It’s important that they know there are people who believe in them and are ready to invest in their life for the long haul.
Finding Help for Troubled Youth and Adults in Raleigh Durham
If negative attention seeking has derailed your life, or the life of someone you love in Raleigh Durham, please call our toll-free helpline any time, day or night. Our counselors are standing by and are ready to confidentially answer any questions you may have. Whether you need advice about reversing bad habits or connection to some of the most successful addiction recovery programs available, please call. Specialized help is available, and in most cases, the effects of neglect and negative attention seeking can be overcome with the right treatment. Don’t wait – call today.