In an effort to win the war on drugs the legal system increased the punishments for smaller drug amounts, hoping this would scare Raleigh Durham residents away from illegal substances. Instead it dramatically increased the prison populations and budget problems, leaving many states to spend more money on incarceration than education. Fortunately the courts are now trying a new approach that is producing positive results. It involves a paradigm shift that takes the following actions:
- Approaches drug use as a health problem rather than a crime
- Addresses the problem with treatment rather than punishment
- Finds better ways to rehabilitate drug offenders than through prison
In other words, many judges now give Raleigh Durham drug offenders a chance to seek addiction treatment as an alternative to prison sentences.
What Is Alternative Sentencing for Drug Charges?
In determining the punishment for a crime, a judge might offer an alternative sentence that reduces or eliminates prison time. In many cases, this might include community service. However, in the case of non-violent drug offenders the alternative might be professional treatment for addiction. This is often how it works:
- A drug offender must enter and complete a drug treatment program
- The individual must remain clean and take part in random drug tests
- The failure to complete treatment or pass drug tests sends offenders back to jail
Alternative sentencing is different for each particular case, but the goal is to help rather than punish Raleigh Durham residents as an incentive for them to sober up. This approach has been incredibly successful, and it is actually more cost-effective for the state. Furthermore, this can be a lifesaver for those suffering a drug addiction.
Benefits of Drug Rehab
No Raleigh Durham residents should underestimate how valuable proper treatment can be. For starters, if a person has a serious addiction, a medically supervised detox regiment is an easier process than having withdrawal symptoms behind bars. Likewise, treatment centers provide a holistic approach that helps with the following goals:
- Identify and treat underlying conditions like depression, mania, insomnia and anxiety
- Develop behavioral therapies and healthy habits that discourage a relapse
- Help reestablish family relationships strained by the drug use
- Aftercare support such as peer group therapy and one-on-one counseling
Treatment is more effective than punishment, and for drug offenders it does more than limit their time in prison. It is the chance for Raleigh Durham residents to regain control of their lives and set a new course toward a positive and productive future. Drug treatment might be called an alternative sentence, but it is truly a life-changing opportunity.
Raleigh Durham Addiction Help
Were you or a Raleigh Durham resident busted for a drug offense? If alternative sentencing is an option, we can help. Our knowledgeable staff is available 24 hours a day to explain treatment options, make recommendations and answer questions. Many insurance companies now cover addiction treatment, and we can check your policy. The courts continue to make this option available for one main reason – it works. Call our toll-free helpline now and let us help it work for you.