An individual with borderline personality disorder (BPD) suffers from turbulent emotions, impulsive actions and a distorted self-image. In essence, it is a mental health issue defined by rapid changes in personality and self-perception. Genetics, brain abnormalities and social factors are all believed to play roles, with risk factors that include childhood abandonment, family strife and sexual abuse. Raleigh Durham residents with BPD may exhibit the following warning signs:
- Self-destructive actions and attitudes
- Impulsive behavior that is unhealthy and risky
- Perception of life in stark black and white terms
- Rapid mood swings, including spikes of anxiety or depression
- Feelings of neglect, emptiness, self-loathing and abandonment
- Frequent changes in relationships, employment and plans
BPD is also a common cause of other disorders, including anxiety, eating, bipolar and substance abuse.
Raleigh Durham Residents Suffering from Mental Health Issues and Drug Addiction
As with many mental health conditions, Raleigh Durham residents with BPD have higher rates of drug dependence and addiction. They often try to self-medicate the symptoms by using drugs to attempt the following:
- Balance out the emotional highs and lows
- Get attention through self-destructive binges
- Ease difficult social interactions
- Suppress feelings of loneliness and isolation
- Curb bouts of depression and anxiety
Despite any temporary relief from drug use, there is considerable overlap between addictive and BPD behaviors, and a co-occurring problem can increase the risks of both. Furthermore, drug abuse can aggravate BPD symptoms like depression, rage, risky behavior, combative responses and self-destructive attitudes. It also makes proper BPD diagnosis more difficult. For this reason, individuals with BPD and addiction issues benefit from a multi-track treatment known as Dual Diagnosis.
Integrated Addiction Treatment for Raleigh Durham Residents
Dual Diagnosis is a form of treatment that integrates mental health and addiction care together. Addressing both conditions of Raleigh Durham patients at once helps maximize the treatment for each. Integrated treatment generally includes the following:
- Drug detox in comfortable, medically supervised facility
- Tapered withdrawal for certain addictions (e.g., benzodiazepines and opiates)
- Mental health screenings to identify any and all disorders
- Co-occurring treatment for all mental health issues
- Identification of factors that caused or accelerated the personality disorder
- Individual talk therapies, like dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT), as deemed helpful
- Behavioral therapies to eliminate unhealthy habits and instill a more productive outlook
- Optional holistic care like yoga, meditation, acupuncture and nutrition
- Peer group therapy to discuss addiction and personality disorder struggles
- Aftercare counseling to provide ongoing support and direction
A common BPD trait is a rapidly changing mind. For this reason, if you suffer from BPD and addiction, it is important to ask for help immediately when you recognize a problem exists. Fortunately, there is a helpline available to you any time, day or night.
Addiction and Disorder Helpline for Raleigh Durham Residents
If you are ready to stand up and tackle your issues, our caring staff is available 24 hours a day to help. Call our toll-free helpline to talk with an addiction counselor about personality-disorder and drug-abuse signs and whether Dual Diagnosis treatment is right for you. Many health insurance companies cover addiction and mental health treatment, and we can check your policy for benefits. Help is available for Raleigh Durham residents suffering from BPD and drug addiction. Make the call today.