Drug problems are often paired with underlying mental health issues, life trauma, or genetic history. While the existence of one does not always explain the existence of the other, the two are often a part of a destructive cycle. Raleigh Durham residents need to address all issues simultaneously to recover from addiction.
How Dual Diagnosis Treatment Helps Raleigh Durham Residents
When addiction is coupled with other health issues, treatment focuses on its patient’s psychological, physical and social problems. Though the two contributing factors to self-destruction (drug abuse and mental health) are independent of one another, their interaction with each other requires multifaceted treatment. If Dual Diagnosis conditions are not treated, then each problem can get worse. This is a result of the following interconnectedness of the issues:
- Symptoms of drug abuse and mental health issues can arise simultaneously, but as a result of different causes. This can make it difficult to identify the cause behind each effect.
- Addiction can enhance the symptoms of a mental health disorder.
- Mental health disorders can enhance the symptoms of substance abuse.
- Withdrawal symptoms are often the same as symptoms of mental health disorders. For example, feelings of abnormal depression are often experienced by addicts. Depression is a possible underlying mental health issue facing many Raleigh Durham addicts. Depression can go untreated as a result of being confused to be a symptom of addiction, and likewise, addiction can go untreated as a result of being perceived as depression. The answer is not one or the other, but both/and.
Treating Co-occurring Addiction and Mental Health Issues in Raleigh Durham Residents
Raleigh Durham residents who are seeking Dual Diagnosis treatment should only consider programs that offer the following key attributes:
- Medically supervised detox
- Counselors who teach you how to manage the symptoms of your illness, and can provide the medication that can help you to do so
- An integrated treatment plan which equips you with the principles, practices, and aftercare support to maintain your success
Addiction Recovery Help for Raleigh Durham Residents
If you or someone that you love in Raleigh Durham appears to be suffering from co-occurring conditions, or even addiction alone, please call our 24 hour toll-free helpline. Treatment is more successful when intelligently tailored for each patient. The trained and experienced professionals answering the phones are capable of answering your insurance questions, aiding you in your decision process, and transporting you to the facility that you choose. It is important that those Raleigh Durham citizens who suffer from dual diagnosis conditions enter into facilities equipped with integrated treatment. Do not treat symptoms, cure the cause.