Addiction to alcohol can damage all aspects of your life, as well as the lives of those around you. If left untreated, alcoholism can destroy your health, deplete your finances, and damage your relationships, sometimes irreparably. The effects of addiction can seem daunting, but how do you know if you have a drinking problem? How much drinking goes beyond normal social drinking and occasional abuse? How can Raleigh Durham residents know if they need professional help? How Do You Know If You’re an Alcoholic? The following is a list of questions to ask yourself about your drinking and its effects:
- Do you find that you need more alcohol to feel a buzz than you used to?
- Do you experience withdrawal symptoms if you don’t drink?
- Do you often drink more than you intended?
- Are your thoughts often focused on keeping an alcohol supply handy?
- Do you frequently have blackouts related to alcohol overuse?
- Do you depend on alcohol as a way to escape your problems?
- Do you sometimes feel guilty or ashamed about how much you’re drinking?
- Do you ever lie to other Raleigh Durham residents about your drinking or try to hide it?
- Have other Raleigh Durham citizens expressed concern over your drinking habit?
- Has your drinking put you in dangerous situations?
- Has your drinking caused you give up other activities that used to be important to you?
- Have you tried to quit drinking and found that you cannot?
- Do you continue to drink regardless of the circumstances?
If you answer yes to multiple questions, you likely will need to seek help.
How Alcoholism Works for Raleigh Durham Residents
Often one the biggest obstacles standing between an addicted person and recovery is denial. Even when there are obvious consequences, some Raleigh Durham alcoholics may try to rationalize their drinking. This might involve underestimating how much they drink, blaming their drinking on others, ignoring people’s concern or making light of your drinking. A failure to look honestly at your drinking problem prevents you from moving forward in recovery, so it is crucial to face your addiction head-on.
Effects of Alcoholism on Raleigh Durham Residents
While alcohol can have a potentially deadly effect on your body, the social consequences of drinking can also be disastrous. Even if you feel like you are able to function in your alcoholism, your drinking will begin to take a toll on those around you. You will do and say things that can damage people emotionally. These sorts of emotional wounds are difficult to heal. Children are particularly susceptible to the wounds inflicted by an alcoholic parent. Families and friends will soon grow weary of feeling obligated to cover for someone with a drinking problem, resulting in anger and resentment. The sooner you get help, the less of an impact your drinking will have on those around you. Raleigh Durham citizens have many reasons to get sober, starting with their loved ones.
Raleigh Durham Alcoholism Help
Do you live in Raleigh Durham and are ready to admit a drinking problem? It takes great courage to face an addiction, but it is the first step toward sobriety. The next step is getting support. Our counselors are here 24 hours a day at a toll-free helpline to answer your questions and help you find treatment. There’s no reason to wait to begin your recovery, so call now.